Thursday, October 17, 2019

What I Hear.

On my Soundwalk I took a hike into the mountains. This occurred from 11AM-12:30pm. I heard the dry leaves crackling below me, as I stepped on top of them.  I heard the twigs crack as I stepped on them. I heard the the soft squelching sound of moist moss as I stepped on it. I heard the loose rocks falling off the hill as I climbed.
On this perfect fall morning, I hiked up to this overlook and sat on this rock,  I closed my eyes and took a moment to take in all these sounds. The very distant sound of cars below driving back and forth. The grasshoppers running their hind legs against their wings making a chirping sound. The crickets rubbing the edges of their forewings together making more chirping sounds. I heard a couple of branches breaking off a dried up tree, and falling to the ground, "crack, thud, crack, thud." The wind whispering through the trees, it was a pretty calm morning so there was a soft rustling of leaves blowing, "whoosh, whoosh." The chirping birds that flew by. Lastly, as I sat there quietly, I heard this roaring sound from up above, it was an airplane passing by. 
It has been a while since I actually sat down and listened to my surroundings. I enjoyed this exercise because it helped me become more aware of sounds we may disregard on our day-to-day basis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Guest Lecturer - Kirsten Johnson

Filmmaker Kirsten Johnson, visited our Media class full of energy, looking forward to what she could give us with all her experience in the...